20070303

Alien on Autopilot (A poem for Superman Returns)

I can fly above the stars
And it's really quite amazing!
The birds scatter loosing feathers,
The little ants below can only wish.

Having a son is sunlight fantastic!
Lois knocks me kryptonite from the sky.
Flying nauseates every now and again;
Alien vomit behind alien teeth and gums.

Creating exposes at typing speed;
Being ignored is a most comfortable suicide.
For Clark Kent it’s the stuttering obfuscation of
A blue and red mirage in swooping style.

Cold dead krypton killed five years worth.
Space travel can be dangerous to the fool!
The Seat Perilous was taken when I blinked,
So I put my suitcases in the janitor’s closet.

Alien logic disputes with parental advice
Both sets contradict with equal solemnity
My mother sells the land and moves to Montana
Fortress and farm are lost and so am I

Superman can’t think for himself
And Clark’s too timid to even try.
The savior who listens to your pleas
Lives on autopilot and never lies.

I can fly above the moon!
But my friends are rather few…
The birds have flocks of hundreds,
And the little ants are self-sufficient.

1 comment:

PraiseDivineMercy said...

The other day I was in the mall, and having nothing better to do (I was tired and there were no movies in the theater) I plopped down on a couch in the local department store and happily watched the latter three-quarters of Superman Returns, the first time for me.

And so I am not so terribly confused but in fact rather amused at all this. Nerds everywhere should see and shout with glee for it.